Hyacinths originate from the eastern Mediterranean, from central Turkey to Lebanon. The flower colour was blue originally and the flower clusters consisted of single flowers. By the 18th century, breeding was in full swing and new varieties, such as double-flowered (multiflora) and other colours, were introduced on the market.
Fragrance and colours
These days, hyacinths come in a variety of colours such as pink, red, blue, purple, salmon, yellow, black and white. In addition to their gorgeous colours, they are delightfully fragrant. Each flower colour has its own unique scent, which you can enjoy from March through May. You could mix up the colours in your garden, or use a single colour. Whatever makes you happy!
Hyacinths should be planted in autumn. Find them a nice spot in the sun or half-shade, where excess water can drain away. For best results, plant them in odd numbers: groups of 3, 5, 7 etcetera. Plant them three times as deep as the bulb itself is tall. Hyacinths are sensitive to frost, so you need to give them enough time to form roots before the frost.
If you live in an area with heavy frost in winter, plant the hyacinth bulbs deeper and make sure the bulbs are covered by at least 20 centimetres of soil. It is also a good idea to cover the planted hyacinths with leaf mulch or garden turf afterwards. Once the hyacinth bulbs have been in the ground and settled for a year, they will be less vulnerable to frost.
A perennial plant
Hyacinth bulbs bloom year after year. That’s because they are perennial bulbs. The flower clusters will be large and full in the first year; thereafter the clusters are less full, but no less beautiful. This results in a more natural look. Did you know that the little flowers on the flower clusters are called “spikes”?
- Hyacinths are suitable for picking gardens. How wonderful to have home-grown and home-picked scent bombs brightening up your home!
- Hyacinthus is a symbol of peace and power.
- If you want to create a wow effect, plant the bulbs so close together that they almost touch.
- Hyacinths are suitable for planting in pots. Choose pots with a hole in the bottom or make one or more holes in the bottom yourself so that excess water can drain away.
- Did you know that you can also grow hyacinth bulbs indoors in glass jars or vases? There are special hyacinth glasses for this that you fill up with water. Put the hyacinth bulb on top, just above the water.